La Chartreuse des Moulins is a large holiday home for 4-20 people in the most western and less touristic part of the Dordogne in France.
The house is owned by Iris and Michiel, an enthusiastic and venturous couple that run Domaine Le Guinot (with holiday cottages and set dinner menu) that is located at 10 kilometers’ distance from the house. La Chartreuse des Moulins is not catered, but on request, the owners can arrange a Chef at Home and a wine tasting in the immediate surroundings.
This former manor house dating back to 1870 has been transformed into a spacious, bright holiday home, suitable for even four families. Here you can celebrate your holiday together in a peaceful environment and with endless views over the green meadows. The decor of the house is a combination of original elements such as old doors, stone walls, and wooden ceiling beams with modern items and unique finds from flea markets in the surroundings.
There is a huge garden in front of the house that provides plenty of space to eat together at the large dining table and play in the big playground. The heated pool and hot tub bring not only a welcoming refreshment and relaxation in the summer but can also be fully enjoyed in spring and fall.
For children, this is a wondrous place to stay! They can entertain themselves the whole day with bicycles and games, or they can play ping pong at the table tennis table. At walking distance to the village, you can play tennis or ‘Jeu de Boules’ at the petanque court. For sure, the kids will also love the disco ball that brightens up the large children’s room.
In the immediate surroundings, there are numerous places to discover. Take a refreshing dive in the near swimming lake with beach, go pony riding, explore the castles and caves in the area or tour the charming city of Bordeaux. There is also a child-friendly restaurant within walking distance that offers an excellent lunch menu for only €15. Be sure to sit down on the terrace to admire the beautiful vistas over the vineyards!
All accommodations in our unique collection meet our high standards in quality, comfort, style and setting. We visit every place, meet the owners and explore the area, so we are sure that you will have a great holiday here!
Do you want to know more from Christa about La Chartreuse des Moulins? She is happy to advise you!
Our team has visited and inspected La Chartreuse des Moulins
Same prices as booking direct, no booking fees
La Chartreuse des Moulins is situated in the most western and less touristic part of the Dordogne in France, near the village of Montazeau and the border of the departments Gironde, Lot et Garonne, and Charente. Montazeau is one of the most elevated hamlets in the vicinity (at ten kilometers south of Saint Martin de Gurson where Domaine Le Guinot is located) and guarantees kilometers of exceptional distant views. The panoramas extend over the meadows and vineyards up to the valley with some villages in the distance. In the late evening, watch from your lazy chair under the old linden trees the deer that dare to play closely.
This former manor house has a central position with plenty of attractions to visit in the immediate surroundings. Only two kilometers away you’ll find all the services you might need during your stay (bakery, store, pharmacy, post office, cafe, and restaurant). At six kilometers’ distance, you will find some big supermarkets for buying your groceries.
If you're looking for places to swim, here are some suggestions:
- Lac de Gurson. This lake is about ten kilometers away and has a beach, waterslide, playground, tennis court and offers pony rides as well.
- Grand Etang de La Jemaye. At a 40-minutes’ drive to the north, you will find this lake with a beautiful beach, restaurant, and volleyball field.
- You cannot skip a day trip to the gorgeous and sometimes untamed beaches on the Atlantic coast. They can be reached in a ride of about an hour and a half. For sports lovers, there are countless of possibilities in the area.
- Play tennis or Jeu de Boules on the petanque court in the village (for free).
- Go kayaking in the Isle or Dordogne river
- Make a pleasant bike ride or hiking tour in the hilly surroundings (bikes are for rent on request)
- Play golf on the splendid golf course of Château Des Vigiers (19 holes), a half an hour drive away
- For more adventure, hire a 4x4 squad or go jet skiing
- Take a wine walk of two to three hours through the vineyards, passing several French wine farmers
Do you like to taste some culture? These activities should be on your list:
- Enjoy a local festival. Every month you may find an authentic and amusing festival where locals gather to celebrate the arrival of a new season or the harvest, but there are also various Celtic festivals. Most of the time the festivals have live music, food stalls and long tables where you can savor some tasteful dishes among the locals.
- Stroll a flea market in the weekend
- Search for the knights in the castle
- Explore the caves in the area
- Get a guided tour of the Dutch winery Chateau Fayolle-Luzac. The enthusiastic owners take the time to explain the whole winemaking process (in Dutch), and of course, you get to taste some wines at the end! If you don’t have plans for the evening, then stay at this unique wine domain to savor a delicious dinner.
- Visit the surprisingly lively city of Bordeaux (at one hour drive) or the medieval town of Perigueux (at half an hour drive)
La Chartreuse des Moulins is a large holiday home with heated swimming pool in the north of the French department Dordogne. It's a fabulous place to celebrate a holiday with family or friends. In this roomy house, there is plenty of space to play, relax and spend precious moments together at the dining table.
Layout (350 m2)
Ground floor (from left to right):
- Large bedroom (40m2) with ensuite bathroom (bathtub, walk-in shower, and separate toilet) plus a double bed and sofa bed for two children
- In the middle of the house, the lounge area with fireplace (40m2), dining room (40m2) and country kitchen (40m2) merge into each other. This fantastic area boasts gorgeous architectural details such as high ceilings (3,5 meters), ancient beams, and terracotta floors
- There is a satellite flat-screen TV, a DVD player and you’ll find at several pl...